[E-voting] Flashback to 2003

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sat Nov 28 11:36:19 GMT 2009

Fascinating stuff, Shane.

* Is there any way we can find out which individuals made the decision
to purchase?
* What connections (or lobbying?) might they have had with any
principals supplying the products/services?
* Were there pressures coming from other directions, whether national or
international?

In the USA there is a revolving door phenomena between the election
industry, e-voting company lobbyists, and election administration
officials (civil servants in relevant local or national government).
Someone might be a county election administrator, then get hired by an
e-voting company, then become a lobbyist for the industry and promote
e-voting to election administrators, for example. There are constant
musical chairs, meaning that vested interests are deeply embedded within
local and national government decision-making and policy-making.

In Ireland, the technology issues have been explored in depth, the
financial cost has been explored in depth, and some background info on
the companies is understood by the likes of Joe McCarthy (if still not
public knowledge). But what do we know, if anything, about any links,
communications, and past positions/relationships between people who were
promoting this decision and the officials who pressed the button and
issued the contracts? Shane highlights that actually we know very little
about the "back story"--and perhaps this is the most important part for
us to find out at this point, if we have any interest in transparency in
policy and policy-making and open government.

I'll never forget being at the local gov't committee meeting (18 Dec)
when Joe, Margaret & others presented eloquently the extent of the
technical risks, and the committee issued orders subsequently gave
instructions to hold off signing a contract. But a week or so later we
learned that a contract had been signed (the next day? or previously?).

Which insiders decided it was accepted gov't policy to purchase the
machines (and who was promoting this view), when the committee had just
decided to hold off? What was the sequence, and who were the real
influencers? Was it different government ministers (e.g. Noel Dempsey
who had brought in the idea) or was it truly coming from completely
outside the government?

Catherine