[E-voting] Flashback to 2003

Shane Hogan shane at askaboutmoney.com
Sat Nov 28 21:55:40 GMT 2009

> Is there any way we can find out which individuals made the decision to purchase?

‘Follow the money’ is indeed a good suggestion, but I’m not sure how far it will get you. There must have been a purchase order for the €42 order. I’d be surprised if Joe hasn’t got a copy of this PO already through his FOI requests. If not, it should be possible to get this now. I’d be very surprised if a PO of that size was signed off by anybody other than the Secretary General of the Dept of Environment at that time. But I’m not sure if that really tells us much. You could do FOI requests for any documentation or briefs prepared for the SecGen at the time of placing the order, to see where the recommendations were coming from.

> What connections (or lobbying?) might they have had with any principals supplying the products/services?

I don’t recall that there was every any suggestion of connections between anyone on the Govt side (officials or politicians) and the suppliers. I guess an FOI request might show up any documented lobbying (letters, file notes, meeting notes etc). However, I’m not sure that any lobbying would have been on the record.

Shane