[E-voting] **** SPAM **** LIT e-voting trial

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed Apr 7 22:30:08 IST 2010

Margaret McGaley wrote:
> A PhD student in LIT has developed an e-voting system with a "full
> paper trail" (I don't know any more details than that). It's going to
> be trialled at the student union elections there on the 26th of April.
> I'll be heading down to watch. Would anyone like to join me?
>
> He's also asked me to fill in a short survey about ICTE. Any thoughts
> on any of the following questions?

I'll have a go at an initial draft and others can revise.  This is my
perception.
> How many members are there in your organization?

No formal "membership" criteria exist.  Any member of the public can ask
to receive the email list.  [Can someone comment on the number of
"members" signed up to this email list?]
> Identify the area(s) of e-Voting that your organisation is interested in?

Technical (particularly DREs, both software and hardware; security,
accuracy, reliability), media/public awareness, financial (e.g. direct
and indirect costs), social/political implications (public
participation, cross-party information campaigns), election
administration (e.g. independent election commission, testing criteria
and procedures), democratic implications of secret (non-observable)
vote-counting.
> Does your organisation have influence in any particular area of e-Voting?

Indirect influence (through public online discussion, and through
information provided via individuals taking initiatives including FOI
requests, studies and reports, group-prepared press releases, and
invited government submissions--to media, politicians and general public)
> What is the internal structure of your organisation? (Is there a core
> group of key members that do most of the work?)

No formal structure.  Some members had more technical experience than
others, others had specific media or political connections or
expertise.  Leadership came from various directions at various times in
relation to specific events.  A small group of about 12 people
participated the most due to their knowledge, interest and their
personal network.
> What are the key roles and responsibilities?

None, though Margaret McGaley is recognized as founder and key
spokesperson based on a foundation of expert knowledge of the
technology, and interest in the public/ethical/democratic implications.
> What areas of expertise are most prominent within the organisation?

Technical (hardware/software development), media network, political
networks (cross-party)
> What is the process for decision making / action taking within the organisation?

Primarily public online discussion.  A couple public meetings were held
to discuss group mission and to develop a handout.  On one or two
occasions specific public activities were planned offline.  Decisions
about specific actions were taken by consensus or--more commonly--by
individual initiative.   (e.g. I decided myself to draft a response to
these questions.)  Individuals are always free to hold and publicly
express different points of view.

Cheers,