[E-voting] LIT e-voting trial (Margaret McGaley)

Colm MacCárthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Fri Apr 23 01:24:47 IST 2010

Hey, sorry - hopefully they'll arrive this time ...

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Margaret McGaley <mmcgaley at gmail.com> wrote:
> A PhD student in LIT has developed an e-voting system with a "full
> paper trail" (I don't know any more details than that). It's going to
> be trialled at the student union elections there on the 26th of April.
> I'll be heading down to watch. Would anyone like to join me?

Wow, cool, I'd love to, but it's a bit far from my present location :-)

> He's also asked me to fill in a short survey about ICTE. Any thoughts
> on any of the following questions?

Here are mine anyway!

> How many members are there in your organization?

ICTE does not have a formal system of membership. Our mailing list,
the primary focus of activity for ICTE has 116 subscribers. All
subscribers are welcome, but some do actively consider themselves
independent non-members, and some are observers only. Our largest
in-person gatherings have attracted approximately 40 people. Including
some media and guests, there were 51 glasses of champagne served at
our party to celebrate the shelving of e-voting.

> Identify the area(s) of e-Voting that your organisation is interested in?

ICTE is concerned with Trustworthy E-voting in Ireland. In particular
our goal is to ensure that any system introduced has at least the same
level of verifiability of result as our present system of manual
observable counts.

> Does your organisation have influence in any particular area of e-Voting?

Our organisation has corresponded with and met with Government
ministers, civil service officials and the political representatives
of numerous parties. We have held well-attended press-conferences,
consulted on position papers and briefing documents. We have been
widely quoted in the media, and have authored numerous and well-cited
submissions to public bodies and commissions.

> What is the internal structure of your organisation? (Is there a core
> group of key members that do most of the work?)

There is no formal structure. Some members have taken on spokesperson,
public relations, and lobbyist roles as the need arises. In general
this is on a voluntary and somewhat vague meritocratic basis. We have
tended to conduct as much activity as possible out in the open, and
regularly discuss press release drafts and strategy in public. When
members self-nominate to particular roles, it is generally on the
basis that consensus is established because nobody else objects.

> What are the key roles and responsibilities?

Acting as a spokesperson with the media.
Providing feedback and review on press releases and position papers.
Writing and co-authoring our submissions.
Research.
Speech writing.
Operating and maintaining our online resources.

> What areas of expertise are most prominent within the organisation?

In general the active participants in ICTE have tended to be experts
in the areas of Computer Science, Law, and Politics.

> What is the process for decision making / action taking within the organisation?

Action is taken on a voluntary basis, following some open discussion
and decision making that generally occurs via consensus. Ideas are
proposed on the mailing list, feedback is incorporated, and the
proposer generally executes.

--
Colm