[E-voting] need help finding a reference

Colin Whittaker colin at netech.ie
Thu Feb 11 09:15:44 GMT 2010

I ended up in a debate yesterday with some colleagues about the impact
of plumping or bullet voting - this is voting for only a single
candidate in a multi seat election.

They were contending that this is bad and has an undue impact on the
result and voters should be required to express as many preferences as
there are seats or the vote will count as spoiled.

I "know" this is wrong but I need to find a nice reference that I can
point to that explains this. Anyone got any suggestions,
google/wikipedia not helping so far.

This is not a completely abstract debate as we intend to run a prstv
election next month to fill a bunch of committee positions and it turns
out this is the first time we have had more candidates than there were
seats.

Colin
--
Colin Whittaker					+353 (0)86 8211 965