[E-voting] Open source voting system

Joseph Kiniry kiniry at demtech.dk
Tue Apr 2 11:42:15 IST 2013

John, Jason, et al.,

On 25 Mar, 2013, at 13:00, e-voting-request at lists.stdlib.net wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 18:18:03 +0000
> From: John Bernard Lambe <icte-jlambe at jlambe.com>
> Subject: Re: [E-voting] Open source voting system
> To: e-voting at lists.stdlib.net
>
> The 'Free-prstv' list mentioned in my last post is on the same server as
> this list:
> to create a Free Software PRSTV implementation
>
> There was never much activity on it.
> My last (only?) post, most of which is relevant to our proposed system, is
> at:
>  http://lists.stdlib.net/pipermail/free-prstv/2008-June/000003.html

Several Open Source PR-STV systems have already been developed.  Those for Ireland and Scotland have been formally verified and/or validated.

> Regards,
>
> John Lambe
> --------------------------
> Phone: +353-86-2895286
> 25 Cashel Road, Crumlin, Dublin 12, Ireland.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:54:39 +0000
> From: Jason Kitcat <jason at jasonkitcat.com>
> Subject: Re: [E-voting] Open source voting system
> To: Margaret McGaley <mmcgaley at gmail.com>
> Cc: Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting <e-voting at lists.stdlib.net>
>
> Hi Margaret
>
> I hope that you are well.
>
> I've been there myself before with the GNU.FREE e-voting system:
> http://www.jasonkitcat.com/writings/e-voting/gnu-free-a-free-software-odyssey/
>
> In the end I concluded it wasn't worth the effort, see:
> http://www.jasonkitcat.com/writings/e-voting/source-availability-e-voting/

While your criticisms are valid, they need not continue to be true into the future, especially for non-commercial systems.

> Time and effort better spent on other things in my view!

That's not be true for everyone.  We are focusing on replacing existing, proprietary, expensive systems that support election management, rather than determine voter intent.  I think there is real value in such work, particularly when one has a constructive relationship with government.

Joe