[E-voting] Open Source voting system

Kommer Kleijn kommer at vooreva.be
Mon Apr 8 15:13:44 IST 2013

Dear Catherine,

I completely share your concerns. I do however also include imaging
systems where all ballot images are immediately published and made
available to everyone in the general public, as it is my feeling that
a legal framework that would determine the outcome of an election
after several citizen recounts provide different results is IMHO
close to impossible to conceive and would not be followed in practice
anyway. Experience shows that when people (including judges) do not
understand the exact reason a rule, they will not follow that rule,
even if written in law. I have personally been judged after
challenging an election where the judge acknowledged that the rules
had been severely broken but where he judged that he did not see how
the breaking of those rules could have changed the election results.
I have this judgement in writing, no kidding. The reason he did not
see how the result could have been altered is without doubt his lack
of electronic voting system knowledge or IT knowledge.... He would
not know how to use or profit from the unruled situation I declared
so he did not feel threatened by it. This is what I mean when I say
that people will not follow rules if they do not understand the
reason for the rule. This is also why any machine of which the
workings are more complex than what absolutely everyone can
understand can not be efficiently ruled by legal means. This is why
voting systems need to be so simple that all citizens can fully
understand their workings. If complex tools are used then the input
and output of that very tool must be fully comprehensible for any
citizen standing next to that tool.

What do you think of a sorting-only machine that would not count as
per my description in my previous message of today?

Best regards!,

Kommer.

-