[E-voting] Open Source voting system

Kommer Kleijn kommer at vooreva.be
Tue Apr 9 19:06:22 IST 2013

Hi!,

  On 16:25 08/04/2013, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
-
>A sorting-only machine could be useful if its results are verified.

Yes, the citizens polling workers would need to check the piles for
sorting errors. This is so easy to do before or while counting that I
have high hopes it will actually be done systematically. Also, this
verification does not require any computer knowledge nor any
crytography knowledge. Any polling worker can grab any pile and browse it.

>There would have to be a function to indicate unclear or invalid
>ballots, whether due to printing, marking, or writing that could
>identify the voter.

Yes, but that would not require additonal organs on the machine. In
my imagination unclear ballots (whatever reason) would simply be
sorted in tray two (the tray for the not selected ballots in that
run). That way, after all parties have been recognised and formed
into piles, a pile with only unrecognised ballots would simply
remain. These ballots can then be examined by humans and sorted manually.

>With Irish PR-STV with numerous candidates to be ranked, it might
>not be a good idea to sort by machine according to first
>preferences. Observing that step is a crucial part of the validation
>procedure, and is one of the impressive strengths of our voting system.

Yes, I know the Irish system is complex. I understand that in that
situation a sorting machine may or may not be helpfull.

Best regards!,

Kommer.