[E-voting] Open source voting system

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 17:38:59 GMT 2013

Hello everyone,

It almost ten years (!) since I sent the original email that started
this list. Hopefully the fact that there has been zero traffic here
for a while means there are still some people who haven't bothered
unsubscribing :)

I'm in the very early stages of trying to set up a project to develop
a Free and Open Source optical scan voting system. If you have any
interest in getting involved (in whatever capacity), please contact me
either on-list or directly. For those of you interested in my reasons,
here's a brief explanation:

I was recently invited to speak at a seminar on e-voting in South
Africa to give the Irish case study. One of the themes that emerged
from the event was that vendors often have too much power, and too
little interest in democratic concerns. They charge exorbitant fees
for an inadequate product and service. I feel that it is possible to
produce a well-specified, reliable optical scan system which has the
potential to provide some benefits in some democracies.

I'd love to hear any comments or questions you might have,
And thanks again for your contribution to the demise of the
Nedap/Powervote system in Ireland,
Margaret