[E-voting] Estonia updates

Douglas Wikström douglas at verificatum.com
Mon Dec 19 20:55:52 GMT 2016

Dear all,

Joe pointed me to this list, but when I search for some information
about who runs it, evoting.cs.may.ie times out, so a pointer to a
mission/topic statement would be nice!

In any case, for those that do not know me I am an Associate Professor
in Cryptography at KTH Royal Institute of Technology.

I also run the company Verificatum AB, http://www.verificatum.com. The
idea is to do things properly. Please visit the site and/or email me if
you want to know more.

Best,

Douglas Wikström

On 12/19/2016 6:56 PM, Joseph Kiniry wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Harri Hurst has more insights into what is going on in Estonia.  I was briefed recently.
>
> The short version of what is public, as far as I know, is that there will be a new election early next year, they will continue to push IV, some of the principles behind the previous IV system are no longer working in government, there is a “brand new” IV system that they’ll be using for the first time in this upcoming election, and no one was able or willing to tell us who actually built it.
>
> If/when I learn more, I’ll fill you in.
>
> I’ll also see if Harri or others involved in that conversation will join this list.
>
> Joe
>
>> On Dec 19, 2016, at 04:00, e-voting-request at lists.stdlib.net wrote:
>>

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 09:03:36 +0000
>> From: Jason Kitcat <jason at jasonkitcat.com>
>> Subject: Re: [E-voting] Current state of evoting in Europe
>> To: Margaret McGaley <mmcgaley at gmail.com>
>> Cc: Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting <e-voting at lists.stdlib.net>
>>
>> Dear Margaret
>>
>> Very good to hear from you and seasons greetings!
>>
>>> On 16 Dec 2016, at 17:48, Margaret McGaley <mmcgaley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Germany
>> As far as I know, since the constitutional court ruling <http://www.jasonkitcat.com/2009/03/germany-rejects-e-voting-while-geneva-ploughs-on/> there has been no further movement in Germany.
>>
>>> Estonia
>> The online voting system is still in use. However the government has changed as the ruling coalition collapsed due to a number of scandals. It was made up of the most pro-evoting parties.
>>
>> The new prime minister and coalition is led by the Centre Party who were by far the most e-voting skeptic party. However that party is being rocked by division and a new bunch of modernisers have taken over who may not share quite the same level of skepticism.
>>
>> A contact from Tallinn sent me his translation of the new coalition agreement on this topic. It says:
>>
>> x We equalise the period of e-voting and pre-voting in (voters) residency polling stations.
>> x We guarantee/assure the safety/security and transparency of e-voting.
>> x We are working to create technical solutions to near pre-elections period to the polling day.
>>
>> I am making some enquiries as to whether we can do some work to review security/transparency of the Estonian system again.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Jason
>>
>> --
>> Jason Kitcat
>>
>> @jasonkitcat <https://twitter.com/jasonkitcat>
>> 07956 886 508
>> http://www.jasonkitcat.com <http://www.jasonkitcat.com/>

>> End of E-voting Digest, Vol 86, Issue 3

Douglas Wikström
Verificatum AB
Erik Dahlbergsgatan 51
115 57 Stockholm
Sweden

Mobile: +46-73 687 00 60
Email: douglas at verificatum.com
WWW: http://www.verificatum.com

(Associate Professor at KTH Royal Institute of Technology)