[E-voting] Current state of evoting in Europe

cansbro at eircom.net cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Jan 2 13:23:22 GMT 2017

There is NO state I'm aware of that is friendly to meaningful recounts or actual look-at-all-the-ballots recounts. The obstacles that arise are unbelievable--and that's before you factor in apparently corrupt judicial decisions.

The DREs with toilet-paper roll "paper trail" are known to be useless for audit or recount purposes and have never been used for that purpose. It's only a confidence fairy gimmick.

And the things that COULD be used--like the ballot images every optical scanner in the USA is capable of producing, a capability only discovered shortly before the election--are apparently not being checked anywhere. In some states where people went to court to ensure ballot images were kept (which involved making sure election officials tick a drop-down box on their central tabulator), a judge ruled this posed an unacceptable administrative burden and it could cause disruption. Hmmm. And those ballot image files are tiny--here was no question about memory issues.

What's more, even the DREs were found to produce and store an internal "ballot image equivalent" that could be of value as a record of original voter input--not as good as a paper record or true ballot image, but potentially still valuable. Are they being looked at anywhere?  Not that I'm aware of. As mentioned, it is nearly impossible to do a true recount or audit because of legal or financial or administrative obstacles. Time is a big obstacle--deadlines for certifying results mean there's no time to jump over the multiple hurdles.

Plus, even when fraud is ultimately proven it is too late and there are no remedies and no accountability. See Richard Hayes Phillips' book or YouTube talks about his meticulous audit of the 2004 presidential election in Ohio. It took him till 2008 to complete. It proved the Ohio election was stolen, and the heft of Ohio determined the national result. No media would touch it, if course--another topic in itself.

In Ireland we are lucky in so many election matters--and yet there is no voice questioning why we are required to mark ballots IN PENCIL--this should be a huge red flag--and why ballots are transported by GARDAI w/o multiple observers being required. Combine those two things and our Irish system is just as easy to rig by insiders as any terrible system in the USA! I hear no voices objecting to this vulnerability and I'd love ideas about what could be done. We've seen enough Gardai-related issues that we should be demanding this massive chain-of-custody loophole in our Irish elections be closed, and ink should be used to mark ballots and not pencil.