[E-voting] Current state of evoting in Europe

Joseph Kiniry kiniry at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:41:39 GMT 2017

Hi all,

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Margaret McGaley <mmcgaley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also fascinated that they were reassured by their failed recounts.

We are only partially reassured.  The point is we need to better understand
exactly how reassured we should (or should not) be given the evidence
provided in the partial recounts.  And how big of a grain of salt is
necessary with each piece of evidence that the state provides?  Etc.

> Why did they bother with Pennsylvania if it's all DRE without VVAT?

It is not all DRE without VVAT.  Much of it is.  See below for the reason
to pay attention to PA.  Also, our goal was forensic audits of voting
equipment in PA as well as showing that the current electoral system in PA
is perhaps the worst in the whole of the USA.

> And their home-state? I know if I was mounting an attack I wouldn't
> start with the state where those researchers live and work.

MI was not chosen because it is where the Univ. of MI is located.

MI, WI, and PA were chosen because they are the three states with the
smallest margin won by Trump, and thus if there were evidence of
malfeasance in any of them, then the entire election would be called into
question and we would have to pursue audits/recounts in other states
beyond.  In particular, states won by HRC by a small margin were next on
the list.  We had extensive discussions about NV, FL, NH, and more.

> I'd also
> take into account the laws in my target states. States where it's hard
> or impossible to call for a recount would be at the top of my list.

Adversarial thinking along those lines was a large part of our analysis.
Please remember that understanding elections law (which is a synthesis of
federal, state, and local law) is quite complex in America.  In fact, we
have found just in this smallest case study that election laws wrt audits
are not even internally consistent (see PA).  Moreover, the means by which
SOSs and EOs conduct recounts is not always aligned with the intent of the
law (see MI and PA).

Joe