[Sysadmins] Eircom DNS

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Wed Jul 8 10:20:07 IST 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Cian Brennan wrote:

> Given that they're entirely up front about it, it seems fair enough. They
> provide an occasionally useful service, and don't charge for it. Wildcard A
> records, and and visiting google through a proxy seem a fair enough price to
> pay it.

It's really unhygienic to share DNS caches with lots of other people,
simply cause of the risk of poisoning.

Is recursive DNS service really so hard to get to make OpenDNS be
worth anything, when a caching nameserver is an apt-get/yum install
away (I presume it's similarly easy to install one on OS-X and
windows)?

It would be good if OS providers shipped systems with local,
recursive, caching DNS resolvers enabled by default. DNSSec will make
that less important one day, but it's probably still a good few years
away.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A