[Sysadmins] Eircom DNS

James Raftery james at now.ie
Wed Jul 8 16:40:06 IST 2009

While it's good that OpenDNS is, err, open about its operational policies
I'm not convinced the average home user is equipped to evaluate the
consequences of OpenDNS's shenanigans. ``They tell you what they're
doing'' doesn't make everything OK.

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:20:07AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> It would be good if OS providers shipped systems with local,
> recursive, caching DNS resolvers enabled by default. DNSSec will make
> that less important one day, but it's probably still a good few years
> away.

Oh god. You're kidding, right? A full-service resolver in every desktop PC?
DNS puts stubs in end machines for a good reason: lack of expertise at the
edge. Putting more DNS foo into the hands of more ppl who have no idea what
to do with it doesn't strike me as a good idea. Hell, we're talking about
this because, it would appear, that even organisations that have DNS as a
core service don't get it right. I expect my mother would fare a lot worse.

james
--
Times flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like bananas.