[Sysadmins] Eircom DNS

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Wed Jul 8 17:36:09 IST 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 16:40, James Raftery<james at now.ie> wrote:
> While it's good that OpenDNS is, err, open about its operational policies
> I'm not convinced the average home user is equipped to evaluate the
> consequences of OpenDNS's shenanigans. ``They tell you what they're
> doing'' doesn't make everything OK.
>

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:20:07AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
>> It would be good if OS providers shipped systems with local,
>> recursive, caching DNS resolvers enabled by default. DNSSec will make
>> that less important one day, but it's probably still a good few years
>> away.
>
> Oh god. You're kidding, right? A full-service resolver in every desktop PC?
> DNS puts stubs in end machines for a good reason: lack of expertise at the
> edge. Putting more DNS foo into the hands of more ppl who have no idea what
> to do with it doesn't strike me as a good idea. Hell, we're talking about
> this because, it would appear, that even organisations that have DNS as a
> core service don't get it right. I expect my mother would fare a lot worse.

Hi everyone! ;)

I have to agree with Paul.  I've routinely installed recursive DNS
servers on all my laptops/desktops/servers for several years and it's
been painless, with zero admin overhead. (well, modulo Linux distro
packaging bugs and BIND memory hog behaviour when faced with
SpamAssassin mass-checks.)

In my experience the benefits far outweigh the downsides, and I think
that would apply for nontechie users.  There's actually less config
required if you run the server locally, since there's then no need to
specify upstream DNS addresses....

--j.