[Sysadmins] Eircom DNS

Declan Kelly stdlib at groov.ie
Wed Jul 8 18:13:15 IST 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:36:09PM +0100, jm at jmason.org wrote:

> I have to agree with Paul.  I've routinely installed recursive DNS
> servers on all my laptops/desktops/servers for several years and it's
> been painless, with zero admin overhead. (well, modulo Linux distro
> packaging bugs and BIND memory hog behaviour when faced with
> SpamAssassin mass-checks.)
>
> In my experience the benefits far outweigh the downsides, and I think
> that would apply for nontechie users.  There's actually less config
> required if you run the server locally, since there's then no need to
> specify upstream DNS addresses....

Surely the main point of having caching resolvers (ideally 2) as part of
every access provider's service, is to reduce the amount of hosts making
queries to authoritative nameservers.

What would you prefer - 2 Eircom resolvers hitting your nameservers (and
maybe caching the information for as long as they feel like caching it,
if they still do that) or every single Eircom-connected end-user machine
hitting your nameservers for the same information, a lot more frequently
than the information changes.

And I'm trying not to think about certain MICROS~1 implementations of
DNS where they thought it would be OK for every Windoze machine to send
unwanted data to Internet nameservers, repeatedly.

PS: Hello all - I've been quiet on the sage-ie lists because I was never
able to use them reliably. I tried 3 times to unsubscribe and subscribe
again to get around "mail loops back to myself" errors or just not being
able to send messages to them.

New list, new vanity email address - let's see how long it takes for
this one to get harvested...

--
-Dec.				Consultant Sysadmin, Dublin.
---