[Sysadmins] Reliable USB serial cable?

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 8 19:36:24 IST 2009

> I too am interested in cables that work well under linux AND support
> hardware handshaking, my recent ebay purchases (all appear prolific
> chipset based) work ok with recent linux kernels (2.6.28 ish) for RS232
> with the exception of hardware handshaking support.
> older cables seem to support Hardware handshake ok.

I've used some prolific based ones on Mac OS, Linux and BSD, and
they seem to work pretty well these days. Usually I'm just talking
to Soekris boxes though, so it isn't particularly challenging.

[I think I originally had to install a custom driver on Mac OS, but
that doesn't seem to be needed any more. Either that or the OS X
migration tool has copied the custom driver to each new machine
I've set up for myself...]

	David.