[Sysadmins] Reliable USB serial cable?

Brendan Minish bminish at minish.org
Thu Jul 9 10:03:42 IST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 20:47 +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> I bought two of these in Maplin on Jervis Street:
>
> Bus 005 Device 004: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
>
> and they work fine in Linux.  I'm not sure if I've tried them with Windows,
> but I think I did without problem.  I haven't tried them with BSD/Mac though.

I have had no issue with these chipsets for basic serial comms but I
have several applications where I need Hardware handshaking and this
appears to be not supported with this chipset an the current linux
kernels

In other words the current driver for these only supports a subset of
the rs232 standard

.brendan