[Sysadmins] FTP considered harmful

Niall Sheridan nsheridan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:33:51 IST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:36, David Malone<dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> I thought the high performance patches for ssh had been imported,
> but I see they are still available at:
>
>        http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/
>
> so I guess I'm wrong?

As far as I know there are no plans to incorporate it. The patches
themselves are designed to be used to max out internet2 links. I found
(and this is going back about 2 years) that selecting an inexpensive
cipher and increasing the channel window size to 2MB (from 128KB) gave
far more consistent results than applying the hpn patchset. I also
found that ssh is pretty awful at data transfer :)
I know djm's opinion on the whole thing is that the hpn patches are
fairly invasive, don't make a huge difference for most users (2MB
channel window sizes became the default in 4.7) and anyone who meets
the particular use case of the hpn patches (happens to have a truly
massive link and likes to routinely max it out by transferring scads
of data over ssh) is probably better off patching and tuning
themselves.

 - Niall