[Sysadmins] FTP considered harmful

James Raftery james at now.ie
Wed Jul 15 14:17:13 IST 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:13:41AM +0100, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:
> Are you using FTP? what kind of arguments do you come against when proposing
> change?

Inertia. "It works" (tm), at least from the POV of most users. It's awful
but that's mostly behind the curtains.

We're in the process of phasing out FTP in favour of (chrooted) SFTP. Until
recently SFTP was awkward to per-user chroot. SCP remains awkward.

I have a deep distrust of DAV, for possibly irrational reasons. I've spent
too much time making sure my webserver can't write anything other than its
logs and a pid file and won't read anything other than public content to feel
comfortable with DAV. I realise I'm in the minority.

james
--
Times flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like bananas.