[Sysadmins] Fw: Customer update on recent internet access disruption

Enda enda at codefoundry.com
Tue Jul 28 17:14:15 IST 2009

Untitled Document
----- Original Message -----
From: eircom support
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:00 PM
Subject: Customer update on recent internet access disruption

     If you are unable to see the image in this email click here

      Dear Customer

      As you are aware, eircom customers experienced disruption to their Internet service over the last two weeks. On behalf of eircom, I apologise for the interruption to service and would like to take this opportunity to update you on the current position.

      In early July we saw an increase in incidents known as ‘cache poisoning’. This is a malicious activity by a third party to redirect customers to fake websites.  We took immediate steps to protect our customers from this activity. This involved strengthening of the filters that block unwanted or suspect traffic. Unfortunately many customers could not, as a result of the incidents, access the internet or experienced delays for a number of hours on two specific occasions.

      While our preliminary investigations have shown that, in general, our systems worked as intended when the attack occurred, we are taking additional steps to further protect our customers and their internet service. This involves upgrading and replacing some of our server equipment. Service has been fully operational since 14th July and we continue to monitor the situation closely. We want to reassure customers that eircom treats the issue of Internet security very seriously and will continue to take all necessary steps to ensure that an incident such as this does not reoccur.

      We sincerely thank you again for your patience over the past two weeks as the measures outlined above were put into place, and apologise again for service interruption. We know that our customers have made eircom Ireland’s largest ISP because of its reputation for reliability and its ability to resolve issues when they arise.
      Should you have any queries or indeed any comments on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team at eircom_DNS_info at eircom.net

      Thank you for your continued custom and support,

      Kind regards

      Gerry Culligan
      Director
      Consumer Market

      eircom Limited. Registered in Dublin. Registration Number 98789.
      Registered Office - 1 Heuston South Quarter, St John's Road, Dublin 8.

Remove me from this list