[Sysadmins] DSL -v- Leased Lines

Harry Duncan usr.src.linux at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 13:05:31 GMT 2009

Hi Guys,

I've a customer with two sites, one in the city center (Dublin 1) and
one in Dublin 9, and we have contention free broadband on ADSL2+ from
Magnet Business in Dublin 9 and the city center site is on a BT
unbundled line.

Periodically the broadband goes down in the city center. Not sure what
the issue is, if its related to weather etc, but once the line comes
back up, which usually happens without any customer care interaction,
all is fine again, but the blip causes a ton of issues for the
customer at the time.

I was toying with the idea of getting them to put in a leased line
connection between the sites, but I'm curious if it is going to be any
more reliable. Essentially it is going to be another copper pair from
the exchange and connected to backoffice equipment at the echange, and
it is in this section that the broadband is going down. I also have
the option of getting the Dublin 1 site to run off the magnet business
service and see if it is more reliable.

Are leased lines inherently more reliable than DSL lines? Better back
office equipment at the exchange than the telco's dslams? Or are
leased lines just as susceptable to periodic outages as DSL lines?
Does it come down to pot luck with copper quality in the old dublin
city center and that by getting broadband on a different line the
problems might all just disappear or is it an overloaded exchange that
is likely to be the issue?

Curious to hear thoughts...

Harry.