[Sysadmins] suggestions for (moderately) large mail server setup

Jerry Horgan jhorgan at tssg.org
Tue Nov 17 17:52:04 GMT 2009

Hi

We are currently using UW IMAP (Maildir) + Postfix + OpenLDAP with Squirrelmail for web access.

It works pretty well, but isn't pretty or hugely functional, no calendar or address book.

So we are now looking at SUN's Java Communication Suite,
http://www.sun.com/software/communications_suite/index.jsp

It integrates, Email, IM, Calendar, Addressbook. Has a nice AJAX front-end for web-access. Support for push email etc.
Its also designed to scale massively.

You can use it for free or pay for support.
http://www.sun.com/software/communications_suite/get.jsp
As were are an Edu institution the price per seat inc support is only a few euro.

We've demoed the web-based frontend and are very happy, you can setup vacation messages, implement procmail rules, multi-domain support etc.
It will also hand off emails to an AV / Spam filter before delivery etc.

It is a complex system, which has slowed up our deployment of it, but it is ultimately designed to fully integrate all the above mentioned components.

Regards

Jerry