[Sysadmins] Private DNS

Philip Reynolds philip.reynolds at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:01:13 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM, David Malone
<dwmalone=sysadmin-ie at maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out what to do
> with a network that is using ".local" as it's private DNS space,
> which causes problems with mDNS hosts. It would seems sensible to
> move it, but then I should move it to a place that won't cause
> trouble in the future.

Maybe it would be preferable to use a sub-domain of their existing
domain which would stop any potential future TLD conflicts. Especially
as we see more and more new TLDs.

e.g. local.domain.com or int.domain.com?

I'm not aware of any special TLD equivalent to RFC 1918.

Phil.