[Sysadmins] Private DNS

David Malone dwmalone=sysadmin-ie at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Nov 18 12:37:28 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:01:13PM +0000, Philip Reynolds wrote:
> Maybe it would be preferable to use a sub-domain of their existing
> domain which would stop any potential future TLD conflicts. Especially
> as we see more and more new TLDs.
>
> e.g. local.domain.com or int.domain.com?

That's what I've done in other cases, once a real domain has been
registered.

> I'm not aware of any special TLD equivalent to RFC 1918.

There does seem to be a need for something like this, based
on invalid queires reaching the root servers. This is quite
fun:

	http://stats.l.root-servers.org/cgi-bin/dsc-grapher.pl?window=604800&plot=qtype_vs_invalid_tld&server=L-root&yaxis=count

David.