[Sysadmins] Private DNS

James Raftery james at now.ie
Wed Nov 18 14:19:19 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:51:56AM +0000, David Malone wrote:
> 	1) Is there a domain that is the DNS equivelent of RFC 1918
> 	address space, for parking your local DNS information in?

Nope. RFC2606 does reserve some TLDs but not for this use (and they're
ugly enough that users would moan).

> 	If not, I presume it has been proposed and shot down, so
> 	it would be interesting to know what the main reasons for
> 	the shooting are.

It has come up a few times, e.g:

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg01813.html

> 	2) What's the current position of the ".local" domain used
> 	by a lot of mDNS stuff? Is it likely to be blessed or will
> 	it move to local.arpa, or something like that?

It's likely to be formally ignored by IANA, but informally marked as off
limits for pragmatic reasons.  The mDNS ID makes the case that it is
specifically a link-local protocol so the .local name has no global
significance requiring IANA action.

> The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out what to do
> with a network that is using ".local" as it's private DNS space,
> which causes problems with mDNS hosts. It would seems sensible to
> move it, but then I should move it to a place that won't cause
> trouble in the future.

Assuming they're example.org on the intertubes, int.example.org. or
lan.example.org. gets my vote.

james
--
Times flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like bananas.