[Sysadmins] PAT testing...

Gareth Eason gareth.eason at signal2noise.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 13:35:42 GMT 2009

Brian Scanlan wrote:
> 2009/11/24 Gareth Eason <gareth.eason at signal2noise.ie>:
>> - Does anyone (or anyone's employer) do annual PAT testing in Ireland?
>> - Would anyone care to comment on whether it's a legal requirement in Ireland?
>
> From reading the SI and regulation, I'd bet money that it isn't.
>
> This supports (same regulations apply in UK):
> http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/july.htm
[snip]

	Thanks Brian :) My next step was to look more closely at the UK legislation
(which enacts the same EU act), but you've neatly saved me the trouble.

	I would tend to agree that it is not (at least yet) a requirement within
Ireland, though there is an element of vagueness as to whether normal wear and
tear constitutes being "exposed to conditions causing deterioration liable to
result in a danger to safety or health"  (Irish S.I. 188/2001, and amended in
S.I. 299/2007)

	Any other opinions or experiences?

	Best regards,
	-->Gar