[Sysadmins] NTL(hell?) internet service

Andrew Barnes andrewbarnes at ramsesit.com
Thu Oct 29 08:33:55 GMT 2009

G'day all,

For what it's worth - I live in Charlesland Park (Greystones, Co. Wicklow)
and have the 10Mb service after they upgraded us from their MMDS (I think
it is) service.  Things are a lot better now, but my biggest prob has
always been high packet loss, high jitter and low QoS - I was getting up to
87% packet loss just trying to ping google.com :-(

It seems whoever installed the cabling at my place (a) bent the co-ax just
outside the house at a right-angle so that it would fit more neatly around
a corner.  On top of that I still have problems with the cabling internal
to the build (pre-installed by a contractor).

Like I said, it's a lot better now, but it's the "last mile" that's
killing me, waiting for them to come back to me with a date to review
cabling.  Luckily I have 2 runs - one into the main bedroom, one into the
lounge, so I have my modem in the lounge now and use EoP to get to my kit
in the roof

Andy

</snip>