[Sysadmins] Timing automated batch jobs ...

Colm MacCárthaigh colm at allcosts.net
Tue Sep 15 12:27:25 IST 2009

For some reason, I keep coming across the pattern of cron jobs that
have "sleep $RANDOM % 3600" in them - in a vain attempt to spread
load. It's a really harmful dangerous pattern, it annoyed me so much,
that I've written about it ;

http://www.stdlib.net/~colmmacc/2009/09/14/period-pain/

If anyone comes across this pattern, do me a favour and send me the
details, I want to start squashing these bugs. I've opened a number of
problem reports already with various Open Source mirroring and update
scripts, with various degrees of success.

--
Colm