[Sysadmins] DNS....

Harry Duncan usr.src.linux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:36:50 GMT 2010

Hi Guys,

I have a customer who want to run their web/email/dns all on site
behind a DSL line. I think its an incredibly dumb thing to do given
the qos on the lines, but how or never, its what they want and thats
that.

What I am wondering is, if I add say a third DNS server to their
domain record, one which is not "on site" behind their ADSL modem,
which has very short TTL's and have it point the www record to a
different webserver which would host a friendly customised error page
saying we're experiencing difficulties at the moment, here are our
contact numbers and we hope to be back soon ...... what is the
likelyhood of that being accessed when the main site is available or
do different systems randomly query DNS servers and not necessarily in
the order they are listed?

Are there any other safer schemes that people have used to achieve the same end?

Harry.