[Sysadmins] SATA and Dell PE2970/R710

Nick Hilliard nick at netability.ie
Wed Jul 28 11:58:57 IST 2010

On 18/12/2010 12:23, David Malone wrote:
> We're thinking about ordering a Dell 2970 or R710 to put some
> existing SATA drives into. Someone claimed that the R710 machines
> won't take generic SATA drives, even with the right caddy. I have
> seen this done once before on a Toshiba laptop, however, I've not
> seen it on Dell machines. Anyone know if they are actually locked
> to particular drives?

I'm led to understand that as of software revision 12.3.0-0032, the PERC
H700 (basically a rebranded MegaRAID 9260-8i or thereabouts), which comes
as an option on the R710, will support third party disk drives.

On a related question, does the R710 chassis come with pre-installed disk
caddies, or do you need to buy these separately?

Nick