[Sysadmins] PAT testing...

Harry Duncan usr.src.linux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:27:25 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Gareth Eason
<gareth.eason at signal2noise.co.uk> wrote:
> Brian Scanlan wrote:
>> 2009/11/24 Gareth Eason <gareth.eason at signal2noise.ie>:
>>> - Does anyone (or anyone's employer) do annual PAT testing in Ireland?
>>> - Would anyone care to comment on whether it's a legal requirement in Ireland?
>>
>> From reading the SI and regulation, I'd bet money that it isn't.
>>
>> This supports (same regulations apply in UK):
>> http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/july.htm
> [snip]
>
>        Thanks Brian :) My next step was to look more closely at the UK legislation
> (which enacts the same EU act), but you've neatly saved me the trouble.
>
>        I would tend to agree that it is not (at least yet) a requirement within
> Ireland, though there is an element of vagueness as to whether normal wear and
> tear constitutes being "exposed to conditions causing deterioration liable to
> result in a danger to safety or health"  (Irish S.I. 188/2001, and amended in
> S.I. 299/2007)
>
>        Any other opinions or experiences?

I raised this with a health and safety officer who got back to me on it today.

PAT testing is a legal requirement since 12 Nov 2007, and its legal
enactment is in regulation 81 (portable equipment) which is an an
ammendment by the Safety, health and Welfare at Work (General
Application) (ammendment) Regulations 2007 (S.I. No.732 of 2007).

In summary, the primary inspection onous is on the end user and there
is an onous on the employer to have portable applicances certified by
a competent tester with a record kept of the inspection and
certification.

There is no frequency of testing defined, other than it must be done
once and periodically as appropriate with regards to wear and tear
considerations and if necessary the applicance should be "certified
until" and marked as such.

HTH,

Harry.