[Sysadmins] Asterisk and Nagios Monitoring

Barry O'Donovan barry at opensolutions.ie
Wed Sep 15 10:14:05 IST 2010

Steph.

On 14/09/10 19:55, FRLinux wrote:
> I had a quick look on the internet and didn't really see what i was
> looking for. I would like to find a way to monitor SIP Registrations
> going down and thus getting a notification. So far I have investigated
> two routes:
>
> - grepping /var/log/asterisk/messages which indeed tells you when your
> peer is no longer registered to your provider
> - using a tool such as sipsak (http://sipsak.org/) which can be used
> with http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=check_asterisk which
> does not seem to perform exactly as i'd expect

I haven't looked at sipsak but for a similar situation in the past
(monitoring status of PRI lines) I used a Nagios plugin which interfaces
with the Asterisk Manager interface which is probably a better way of
doing it:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+manager+API

There appears to be commands such as SIPpeers, SIPshowpeer,
SIPshowregistry which may do what you need.

See the following for the script I used for the PRIs:

http://www.barryodonovan.com/index.php/2007/11/02/asterisk-pri-nagios

Note that I used the 'Command' action to execute a normal CLI command
which you should do also with 'sip show peers / users / registry'.

HTH,

 - Barry

- --

Kind regards,
Barry O'Donovan

http://www.opensolutions.ie/

Mob: +353 86 801 7669
Tel: +353  1 685 4220
SIP: barry at opensolutions.ie
Fax: +353  1 685 4263

Open Source Solutions Ltd
First Floor, Unit 2C,
The Forum,
Ballymoss Road,
Sandyford Business Park,
Dublin 18, Ireland.

Open Source Solutions Limited is a company registered in the Republic
of Ireland (#438231). Open Source Solutions Limited trades as Open
Solutions (registered business name #329120).