[Sysadmins] World IPv6 Day

Barry O'Donovan barry at opensolutions.ie
Fri Apr 1 09:00:47 IST 2011

Hi all,

On 30/03/11 14:34, David Malone wrote:
> If people are planning something, we (that's some people from the
> Irish IPv6TF) were hoping we could collect a list of organisations
> that were taking part. This is mainly to generate some interest and
> show there are plenty of Irish organisations that have some IPv6
> going on.

It would be great if we could push June 8th as a 'flag day' in smaller
companies to get something - anything - done with IPv6.

Enabling AAAA on their websites (and leaving it on) would be super.

Some suggestions I have:

1. Register on www.ipv6ready.ie and add the badge to your site. Even if
it's "Pending IPv6", the whole point of the project is to nudge the
level of awareness up a notch and we need badges on sites for that.

2. If you haven't even used IPv6 before, get a SixXS tunnel
(http://www.sixxs.net/) and be sure to choose either HEAnet or Airwire
as your tunnel broker. Both are members of INEX with great IPv6
connectivity so you'll see low latency with good connectivity on these.

3. If you want to get IPv6 on your LAN and your ISP won't provide it,
then (a) bug them some more; and (b) as a intermediate measure, also get
a subnet from SixXS for your LAN.

4. Dual stack your mail server and add a AAAA record to your MX hosts.
This is a really simple and painless first step as SMTP is such a
resilient protocol, if the mail cannot be delivered over v6, it'll fall
back to v4. Postfix, Sendmail and others have been IPv6 capable for years.

5. Dual stack your DNS server. Like Postfix / Sendmail, Bind has been
IPv6 capable for years. Get it listening on v6 and then add AAAA records
to at least one of them.

6. Hurricane Electric have a very useful IPv6 Certification program (see
it at http://ipv6.he.net/certification/) which certifies an individuals
ability. It's a free process and what's great about it is that, even if
not interested in the cert, working through the process gets you
configuring IPv6 on your web server, email server and DNS.

7. Always look for IPv6 when choosing an ISP, a hosting provider,
equipment vendors, and SaaS. Even if not a deciding factor, ask for IPv6
support to keep nudging it up the list of priorities for service providers.

8. Register and display a badge from www.ipv6ready.ie. Did I say that
already?

 - Barry