[Sysadmins] [JOB] IT Systems Administrator Position in DIAS
frlinux at frlinux.eu
Fri Nov 4 16:00:07 GMT 2011
Get it while it's hot! Another open position from my previous place.
IT Systems Administrator in the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
The Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS) is seeking a highly
qualified person to become a member of a newly established integrated team
responsible for IT support throughout all three constituent schools of the
Institute (Celtic Studies, Theoretical Physics and Cosmic Physics) as well
as the Administration section. The position requires a broad range of
technical knowledge and experience covering all aspects of software,
networking and hardware support, including remotely-located geophysical
instrumentation. Good team-working skills are equally essential as well as
an ability to carry out occasional urgent out-of hours work and to travel
to remotely-located geophysical instrumentation for installation and
Expected technical skills and experience:
- Excellent knowledge and experience of hardware support for all major
brands of servers, desktops, laptops and other hardware such as printers,
scanners, projectors etc.;
- Good understanding of all aspects of server room operation, including
uninterruptible power supplies, air conditioning and environmental
- Excellent practical knowledge of LAN and WAN infrastructure from
fiber-optics/copper cabling and transceivers to network switches and
routers, their configuration and maintenance;
- Extensive experience of monitoring of multiple-site IT infrastructure;
- Good understanding of common networking protocols as well as the
peculiarities of their practical implementations, troubleshooting and
tuning for specific applications;
- Excellent knowledge and experience of UNIX system support -- both the
standard range of system-side services and a wide spectrum of end-user
software including open source applications and commercial software;
- Good practical knowledge of data storage and management: storage area
networks, practical implementations of data backup procedures with
enterprise backup products and their alternatives;
- Extensive practical experience of end-user support in Windows and MacOS
X environment, including support of office productivity and other common
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong motivation to
create, maintain and share the necessary internal and end-user technical
- Good practical knowledge of the key principles of IT support teamwork.
Desired skills and experience:
- VoIP telephony and video conferencing;
- Knowledge of mathematical and mathematical typesetting software;
- Proven record of IT support in geophysics, astronomy and/or astrophysics
Experience with deployment and operation of seismic research networks.
- Experience in digital humanities.
The salary attaching to the post is 43,561 per annum and appointment will
be on the basis of a fixed-term contract for three years. Further details
on the position are available from registrarsoffice at admin.dias.ie.
Applicants should submit a letter of application and full CV to: The
Registrars Office, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, 10 Burlington
Road, Dublin 4 or preferably by e-mail to registrarsoffice at admin.dias.ie
to arrive no later than 5pm Friday 18 November 2011.
DIAS is an equal opportunities employer
Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as Death, and sweet as Love.
More information about the Sysadmins