[Sysadmins] Dell PowerEdge R210

Harry Duncan usr.src.linux at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:26:33 IST 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at netability.ie> wrote:

> On 30/08/2013 10:23, David Malone wrote:
> > Does anyone have a PowerEdge R210? I'm trying to figure out if it
> > can actually suspend to RAM.
>
> never even occurred to me that someone would want to suspend a 1U server
> like that to ram.

The concept works better for servers with larger power supplies than this,
or in the scenario where you have a cluster of servers. If they are
deployed in an office where there is a typical 10 hour usage, suspending to
ram for the dark hours could save quite a chunk of change on energy costs.

A single 500W psu suspended for every weekend of a year should yield 225
euro in electric costs savings, an extra 327 euro if suspended for the 14
dark hours in the office, scale that by the number of machines you can
suspend, savings are not to be sneezed at, people switch providers for
smaller savings.

Ireland is one of the few places where we don't take the energy shortage
crisis seriously, credit to the ESB I guess.

Harry.