[Sysadmins] virus emails

Brian Boyle brian.boyle at heanet.ie
Mon Apr 14 16:40:09 IST 2014

Hi Owen,

> Working with a company that hosts elsewhere, whoose hoster implements
> spam assassin on the smtp feed without virus checking. Each recipient
> on the domain receives approx 2 to 3 virus attached emails per day, at
> minimum 1.
>
> Curious to know if that seems excessive or normal to anyone else who
> lets everything through their smtp feeds, or should I be concerned
> that this customer has been singled out for special treatment by a
> competitor?

I wouldn't consider that level of incoming malware to be particularly
high. On a server with very low mail volumes I can easily see a
spike of incoming malware: like yourself, black listing keeping
most away, but whenever a bot stumbles into an unlisted IP, I see
a small spike of stuff getting rejected. With no blacklists, I'd
expect to see a constant chatter of them. Certainly 2 to 3 per day
would not seem suspicious.

Brian.
--
Brian Boyle, Network Services Manager
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network