[Sysadmins] 6to4 gateways and Eircom

Vanush Misha Paturyan misha at cs.nuim.ie
Wed Jun 11 15:33:44 IST 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 02:57:32PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 11/06/2014 14:34, Vanush Misha Paturyan wrote:
> > does anyone know if Eircom has 6to4 (RFC3056) routers configured
> > within their "domestic users" network? I've recently switched from
> > UPC's cable modem to Eircom's  eFiber, and on UPC 6to4 "automagically"
> > wokred (they had a 6to4 router listening on 192.168.88.99 anycast, as
> > per RFC). I thought I ask here before messing with configurations on
> > Eircom's provided router to see if I can convince it to work for me.
>
> 6to4 is generally considered to be a bad idea these days, not least because
> there are no longer any 6to4 relays left in Ireland.

What about the one in UPC I've just mentioned? Also, Heanet definitely
has one (unless we are talking about different things?)

>  Although it might
> work fine in many situations, you'd be better off getting a static ipv6
> tunnel from e.g. SIXXS or tunnelbroker.net / Hurricane Electric.  SIXXS has
> a relay point in Ireland operated by HEAnet.  HE's nearest tunnel exit
> point is in London, but you should get pretty good performance out of it.

I've used SIXXS before, the reason I switched to 6to4 is because my
router picked it up automatically and was giving out IPv6 addresses to
all devices within my home network, without a need of running another
server that would keep SIXXS tunnel up and running.

> There are a bunch of web pages out there which describe how and why 6to4 is
> broken, both from the conceptual and practical points of view.

I'll definitely have a look at those.

Misha.

--
Vanush "Misha" Paturyan