[Sysadmins] DNS issues

Nick Hilliard nick at netability.ie
Thu Mar 27 15:45:59 GMT 2014

On 27/03/2014 14:59, Harry Duncan wrote:
> Mailserver was slaved off "Irish Broadband" DNS servers at the data center,
> which I changed to Google open access DNS, and the problem has largely
> disappeared.

if you have enough server nous to run an MTA, you probably ought to run
your own resolver too.  pdns_recursor and unbound both make good choices.
It is usually a better idea to use a dns server close to you, rather than
further away.

> Been monitoring it, and got a repeat of the error for a single .ie that was
> sending in mail.
>
> Also noticed this week that the IEDR has been slower than usual on
> actioning requests, could be totally unreleated.

work queue load is not related to dns server capacity.

> Anybody else noticing DNS oddness lately?

nope! Could be a problem restricted to that .ie domain.  Have you checked
the domain out with a domain checker?  e.g. http://mydnscheck.com

Nick