[Sysadmins] FTTH

Brendan Minish bminish at minish.org
Thu Sep 15 13:23:30 IST 2016

Yes, I know quite a bit about this

We are a wholesale customer of Eir and as an OAO we can provide FTTH or
VDSL over Eir's network.

The presentation is as follows

They terminate the GPON connection on their NT (the HG8010) on the
Ethernet port of this the Service providers (eir or OAO) is presented
on VLAN10 over which you can provision using PPPoE or IPoE
There is some filtering going on there but we do see CDP

Eir monitor their NT and light levels etc are available to OAO's via
their Wholesale portal (if you can find a web browser old enough to
support it ..)

as an OAO we are not allowed bypass the NT and use our own optics but
there is no need anyway and it's certanly nice to have a very clear
demarc between Eir's infrastructure and our kit.

I strongly suspect that since they monitor they will take a dim view of
a swap-out that removes their ability to monitor

Any particular reason you wish to do your own GPON termination? It
seems to me that there is no advantage to be gained by doing this

For specifics the Wholeasle handbook should help and i am happy to dig
a bit deeper if you want

regards
Brendan