[Sysadmins] FTTH

Harry Duncan usr.src.linux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:51:25 IST 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Brendan Minish <bminish at minish.org> wrote:

> With gpon misbehaving optics or out of spec kit can take down an entire
> area so I don't think they will be very happy about you bringing your own
> optics up

That there is worth messing with just to see if they have us proteced from
the DOS angle!

> It's very limited indeed to date, ~36k addressees mostly in estates also
> well served by vdsl.
>
> I can check urban addresses on the advanced preqal lists, if you contact
> me directly. but until eircode is implemented there is no reliable way to
> look up rural. Hopefully eircode gets implemented by eir soon

An Eir installation Engineer told me last month that they were actively
upgrading poles in the wider Dublin area with the aim of hosting smaller
vdsl / fiber breakouts from equipment mounted on the poles.

Harry.